Boy looking away while sitting in car

Pasco County, Florida Child Relocation Lawyer

When a parent in Florida wants to move 50 miles or more from their current residence for at least 60 days or more consecutively, they must petition the courts for permission. Modifying the terms of time-sharing from the last order that established time-sharing or from the time of filing pending actions to establish or modifying time-sharing always requires permission from the courts. If you need immediate assistance filing a petition to relocate with a minor child or if you have been served with a petition to relocate with a child, please contact child relocation lawyer Wendy Doyle-Palumbo today.

Child Relocation Lawyer | Fighting for Individuals and Their Children

There are many reasons why you may wish to relocate with a child but they must be reasons of good faith. The courts are to look in the best interest of the child and the parent or other person who is seeking relocation. Career opportunities, educational opportunities, and financial reasons are valid reasons to want to relocate with your children. The burden of proof, however, is upon the parent wishing to relocate and if met, the parent who objects must also prove that it is not in the best interest of the child. Our Pasco County, Florida family lawyer is here to help ensure you get the results that best protect your child’s interests.

Relocation by Agreement

Even if you and the other parent or person agree to parental relocation with your child or children, it is wise to proceed with caution. Hiring a Pasco County, Florida child custody lawyer who can draw up a contract in accordance with Florida law and ask the courts to grant relocation without a hearing is the best option whenever possible. Remember, when it comes to child custody and timesharing, it is crucial that you comply with Florida’s parental relocation law which states:

If the parents and every other person entitled to access to or time-sharing with the child agree to the relocation of the child, they may satisfy the requirements of this section by signing a written agreement that:

  • Reflects consent to the relocation.
  • Defines an access or time-sharing schedule for the nonrelocating parent and any other persons who are entitled to access or time-sharing.
  • Describes, if necessary, any transportation arrangements related to access or time-sharing.
  • If there is an existing cause of action, judgment, or decree of record pertaining to the child’s residence or a time-sharing schedule, the parties shall seek ratification of the agreement by court order without the necessity of an evidentiary hearing unless a hearing is requested, in writing, by one or more of the parties to the agreement within 10 days after the date the agreement is filed with the court.
  • If a hearing is not timely requested, it shall be presumed that the relocation is in the best interest of the child and the court may ratify the agreement without an evidentiary hearing.

Objecting to a Petition to Relocate with a Child in Pasco County, Florida

If you have been served with a petition to relocate with a child and you believe it is not in the best interest of the children, it is in YOUR best interest to consult with a child relocation lawyer in Pasco County as soon as possible. Family Law and Trial Attorney Wendy Doyle-Palumbo have extensive experience in handling parental relocation and custody cases in Pasco County Florida. When determining whether to grant a petition to relocate, the Judge will take a number of things into consideration:

  • Is the reason for petitioning the courts for relocation in good faith?
  • The courts will look at the quality, extent of involvement, and duration of the child’s relationship with the parent or other person proposing to relocate with the child and with the nonrelocating parent, other persons, siblings, half-siblings, and other significant persons in the child’s life.
  • The age and developmental stage of the child, the needs of the child, and the likely impact the relocation will have on the child’s physical, educational, and emotional development, taking into consideration any special needs of the child.
  • The feasibility of preserving the relationship between the nonrelocating parent or other person and the child through substitute arrangements that take into consideration the logistics of contact, access, and time-sharing (Source:
  • A history of substance abuse or domestic violence as defined in s.741.28 or which meets the criteria of s.39.806(1)(d) by either parent, including a consideration of the severity of such conduct and the failure or success of any attempts at rehabilitation.
  • Any other factors affecting the best interest of the child or as set forth in Florida Statute s61.13.

If you wish to relocate with a child after a final order has been entered that establishes time-sharing and custody, it will be beneficial to consult with a family law attorney who can help you to present the facts to the courts. Relocation matters can be highly contentious and emotional but the courts will look to facts and information proving that it is in your best interest to relocate. If you are objecting to a petition to relocate, the burden of proof is also on you to prove that it is not in the best interest of the children. These matters can be difficult at best to navigate without legal counsel.

Upward Modification of Child Support

If you are receiving child support your circumstances may have changed significantly and permanently since your final order was entered. Hiring an attorney to motion the courts for an upward modification of support may be in your child’s best interest. Your children’s needs may have changed, perhaps time-sharing with the other parent has changed significantly or you have had a change of income or ability to earn the same income. Any of these changes can be reasons to ask for a modification of your current Florida child support order.

Contact a Competent Florida Child Relocation Lawyer

If you would like more information regarding move-away cases in Florida or you want to schedule an initial consultation with Wendy Doyle-Palumbo, simply contact our legal team online today. We are here to fight for your rights, every step of the way.

Read Our Recent Blogs